Sunday, June 20, 2010

Old roots and green shoots

There had been a giant cottonwood giving our house shade from afternoon sun,it died before we moved here in 2008. In the place where the cottonwood grew I planted this fast growing tree Elmer gave Me. He says its a fruitless pistachio.Over the white bucket is one of four big fig trees and to the left are pomegranites,limes,pear,apple,mandarin and grapefruit starts.





. Hey someones at the front gate.



Its Elmer My close freind and mentor. Elmer known as "the father of the M1A1" was the second owner of Springfield Armory. Elmer is a retired Air Force gunnery master sargeant that served in Korea and gained notoriety in the Air Force marksmanship team in the 60s. In the 70s after leaving the service he took over the Sprinfield Armory and began production in Devine Tx. gaining his place in history for the revival of the M-14 as a semi-auto called the M1A1. Elmer is a staunch defender of the CONSTITUTION,an expert gardener and freely shares his expertise with Me and is teaching Me the finer points of 20th century military small arms and organics.God bless him and all patriots.

On the topic of faithful freinds here is one



This is Gino,he has taken over the house. Everyone should have a fluffy puppy. And speaking of fluffy here are the new additions.



We got 16 Rhode Island Red hybrid egg machines and 5 of the ones with feathers on their feet,I dont know what theyre called.The fifty some odd year old barn needed some repairs and new doors,strengthening the things that remain.

Here are some luffa sponges in production.In the background is one of the two chicken coops where they get locked up for the night.The red coop is a recycled well-house.



Looking directly past the tractor refeuling tank to the right you can see the neighbors place. There is a fence between our properties with a gate. The gate is always open. We are surrounded by good people that mind their own business but are there in a flash when called upon. I dont know how I ever lived anywhere else.

5 comments:

  1. your fluffy footed chooks are probably Pekin..
    Frizzles are the best fun!
    http://www.farmingads.co.uk/chickens-pekin/region-w-uk/
    I have 3 aged non laying geriatric hens shed rescues, and a pekin cross bantam rooster:-)
    no eggs but pest control and fertilizer:-)
    Ornamental Pistachio..sounds nicer.
    I have 3 real pistachios 5 female to one male tree is the supposed desirable ratio for ref. at 50 ea I could only get 2 female trees. I am after a Pecan. have planted chestnuts see if they sprout.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very nice property Korny. Look, no chemtrails in your blue skies either. Where are you exactly?

    I'd love to have a place like that. It reminds me of older, sweeter times. Oz just shared pictures of her place in aussieland with me. Hi oz! Lovely as well. Here I am in the heart of South Jersey tomato, blueberry and corn land iving in a townhouse with a tiny yard.. bummer.

    Is that a maltese puppy? How adorable. Btw, your friend Elmer has hippie hair but don't tell him I said that, he might want to shoot me..! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the little reds there and Gino looks quite studly.

    I'm glad you got Elmer and others around. I have some good ones here too. We are chatting a little more often about preparedness.

    I miss the Pecans and Texas melons. MMMMMM!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I make melon runs frequently,and ice cream runs.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Devine Texas maam. There are two kinds of men,sons of the south and sons of bi***s.

    ReplyDelete