Tuesday, January 5, 2010

What I did this winter, by Korn I. King

After the temperature fell below 100° I came out of My bunker to kill some rats. With so many things to do after building hot-rods its hard to decide. For a peek look below the cyber-fold.

This is how she looked before new floor pans.

The new pans are recycled steel from the scrap-yard.

Here is a view after pans welded in,new dash cover (homemade) refinishing instrument panel and installing original carpet after cleaning.

Note the Mazda Miata seats (the old ones came out in pieces) The Miata seat on the driver side got 2 inches of sponge removed to fit My oversized butt into the car.

Here is a new gas tank from a recycled air compressor tank.

Also the new hand-stiched convertible top is visible.

Here you can see the sandblaster I built from another recycled air compressor. The ditch-plow on the back of the tractor is built from all scrapyard material. The hitch was made from scratch (yellow part) The blade was sandblasted with the home-made blaster and painted with sprayed oil-base enamel (with additives to make it harden fast and real hard)

So after it sat for 25 years I got the car with the motor frozen. I got it freed up,installed a fuel pump,cleaned the carb.,new fuel lines,new brake hydraulics and pads,new battery and cables,new sway-bar bushings,fan belt,wiper blades,new brake flex-hoses,fabricated air filter element.

The car has been tagged and inspected, road tested to 70 MPH with the new tires. Now the motor will be pulled out for new gaskets and some special parts to give it a little more ummph. Head will be ported and polished ,oil passages widened,head milled for more compression etc.

While the motor is out all the parts will be refinished,radiator shroud painted, and a general spiffing up of the motor compartment.

SEND ME MONEY !

12 comments:

  1. Is there a "conspiracy" here or what?

    Nice work -- Nice Rig

    Glad to see you cruise back by our way at COTO. Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Boomer. That was My first attempt at sewing a top. We sewed on that thing for weeks. Its not too bad for a first effort. A new one was 450 bucks. I spent about 100 for material. Its vinyl on top with a black denim underliner. I am trying to order a mild cam from the limeys but they arent responding. You didnt send any worthless federal reserve notes.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Impressive, this winter has barely begun! And a rag top is adventurous too. Bet you had some help? Are you looking for a new project yet?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Stock Yellow with Black Rag top looks great. Glad you didn't attempt stitching the seats. HARD ASS WORK!!

    What next? Another Limey? An Austin or Alpine?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good skills to have.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Is that the old Stag?

    It sounds that you'd be a useful member to have around. But wouldn't you better convert it to run on hydrogen.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Korn ... nice job on the old Spit. TRF may have those cams ... if not, pm me and I'll send my list of suppliers (although you prob have them mostly). I wonder if you could throw an old GT6 6 cylinder in there. I recall folks who did that, I think... in the fog of my memory.

    My second car was a 66 Spitfire. My son and I are diligently working on rebuilding his TR-6 seats in the living room. Reverse engineering is a bitch even With the correct foam pieces and covers.. Hey.. you wanna TR3.... ? :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. P.S. .. I really liked the job you did on the rag top. Lotta work but you did the best job I've ever seen of somebody creating a top. Not many have tried. You succeeded.

    ReplyDelete
  9. " I GOT BLISTERS ON MY FINGERS "

    ReplyDelete
  10. Well I was thinking of making a life-size statue of Nancy pelosi but I cant find enough dried prunes.

    ReplyDelete