Sunday, August 30, 2009

Behind 'An Eye for an Eye'

John Sack is one of America's most eminent literary journalists. His reporting over more than half a century, from North and South America, Europe, Africa, and Asia, has appeared in such periodicals as Harper's, The Atlantic, and The New Yorker. He has been a war correspondent in Korea, Vietnam, Iraq, and Yugoslavia, as well as CBS News bureau chief in Spain. He is the author of nine non-fiction books, including M, Lieutenant Calley: His Story, and Company C, as well as An Eye for an Eye (available from the IHR). The founding editor of Esquire magazine has compared his writing to that of F. Scott Fitzgerald and Ernst Hemingway.

He wrote a book, "An Eye for an Eye"  about  what happened in POW camps after WWII; and even though he is an eminent journalist, and the book was fact-checked by  many publishers and was accurate, he could not get it published. Here is a speech he gave about the book and how it finally came to be published.



"Three years ago I was scheduled to speak at the United States Holocaust Memorial Museum. The speech was announced in this brochure and also on the Internet. But then the Museum canceled it.

For the next forty-five minutes, I'll say here what I'd planned to say at the Holocaust Museum, and then, just as I'd have done at the Museum, I'll stay here as long as you'd like, answering questions. The audience at the Museum would have been historians, mostly, and I'd have said something like ...

Thank you. Thank you for inviting me, thank you for listening to me. What I'm going to talk about happened fifty years ago. And for fifty years, no one, no historian, no one at all has spoken about it in public anywhere in the world. Not until now.

Now myself, I'm not an historian, I'm a reporter. And what I write is the raw material of history, something that historians will -- I hope -- someday make some sense of. I go places. I watch events. I listen to people. And then I tell stories. And I'll start by telling one now. A true story about a teenage girl."

more

8 comments:

  1. We are all one. We are all part of a whole. We have in us capacity to be loving, hateful or indifferent.

    Once we loose the ability to recognize, or to never realize this, we become vessels controlled by what we should be controlling.

    If "free will" means anything it is our innate ability to make our own choice as to what we choice to guide us. Choose wisely. For of all the humane emotions only one allows us to bring in all the others, allowing us than to place them under our control, as opposed to the other way around.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What an eye opening article. Thanks for posting Brad. I had never heard of German citizens being held and tortured in Polish prisons. It reminds me of Abu Ghraib. Innocent women and children dragged off the streets and tortured.

    It's no surprise that no one would publish his book. It is also not surprising that a smear campaign ensued to discredit his much researched and documented information.

    After reading this and knowing of the controversy over whether gas chambers really existed, it makes me think twice about something I always believed to be fact.

    There is now a twinge of doubt in my mind. If they can so effectively stifle truths that would be received negatively and reflect badly on them then they are also capable of promulgating lies to, as dumbya said,"catapult the propaganda."

    The world is truly in the hands of sociopathic madmen.

    ReplyDelete
  3. "... once we lose ..." oops

    ReplyDelete
  4. But also, in this wall of silence, you see how the 9-11 business is kept under wraps, and how the alien empire that is our world presents to us an innocent and oblivious face.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I forgot to mention...

    Your first line above says this:

    "John Sack is one of America’s most eminent literary journalists." (Present tense)

    It should read like this:

    "John Sack WAS one of America’s most eminent literary journalists." (Past tense)

    http://www.johnsack.com/about_john_sack.htm

    John Sack died at 7 pm PST Saturday, March 27, 2004.
    For a complete obituary go to:

    http://www.nytimes.com/2004/03/31/arts/john-sack-74-correspondent-who-reported-from-battlefields.html

    or link to these files:

    http://www.johnsack.com/files/sack_obit_nytimes.pdf

    http://www.johnsack.com/files/sack_memorial_esquire.pdf

    ReplyDelete
  6. I just bought a huge book on history by Carrol Shelby
    ( I thInk that's the name) that is over 1000 pages and purports to be quite the eye opener. Haven't started it yet, though but will keep you posted when I do.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The rub being those that seek to expose truth suffer a paradoxical and somewhat diabolical dilemma; having to live with this truth and remain silent, or for the few that choose a path of exposure, risk a fate worse than that they would fight to seek justice for.

    And most of us doing what we're doing, at least from my own observation, are doing this for reasons that can only be attributed a love of mankind, warts and all. Knowing that if we could just realize our potential, could sail beyond our wildest imagination into as close to possible heaven of Earth.

    Some of us saw this coming a long time ago. God knows I did, even though you wouldn't know it from what preparations I've made. I guess I was always holding out a chance that we'd tip the scales and that "new dawn of enlightenment" would arise and we could sweep the worst of us off this planet for a while, and like a fool a part of me still clings to that vision.

    Oh, well, one way or the other I can't help but believe that we're all going to see real soon.

    There is some hope. I see and hear it when I go out. Not 2 years ago, if you mentioned Bilderberg, Illuminati, or that the FED wasn't federal, you would be given blank stares. Last night, at a commencement speech for "Mid-Summer Mardi-Gras", they started out in front of a crowd of perhaps 10,000 people with Bilderberg and went on to lampoon how our "conspiracy of fun" would swamp their evil deeds.

    I took some footage, and as soon as I can figure how to post it, I will. You will get a glimpse of just how wonderfully crazy this city can be.

    ReplyDelete