Friday, May 29, 2009

Rob Kall explains COTO banishment

COTORIBBON

Over the past week, a lot of outright lies have been told about OpEdNews and me personally. Here's an accounting of what really happened.



::::::::

The managing editors provided considerable input into conceiving and writing this, but I take responsibility for the final draft.

At the bottom of every article, diary and poll on OEN, the following rules are clearly stated: 
These discussions are not moderated. We rely on users to police themselves, and flag inappropriate comments and behavior. In accordance with our Guidelines and Policies, we reserve the right to remove any post at any time for any reason, and will restrict access of registered users who repeatedly violate our terms. 

  • OpEdNews welcomes lively, CIVIL discourse. Personal attacks and/or hate speech are not tolerated and may result in banning.

  • Comments should relate to the content above. Irrelevant, off-topic comments are a distraction, and will be removed.

  • By submitting this comment, you agree to all OpEdNews rules, guidelines and policies.



 Those rules have been on the site for months.

 But these rules were being ignored by a group of members who used the comment sections of articles indiscriminately to sell their message, insult people who didn't agree or even who failed to emphasize what they considered important, and to organize their loosely held group, COTO (church or coalition of the obvious, depending on who you ask).

After repeated complaints from other members, and extended and lengthy discussions among the managing editors, policy decisions were reached, to begin more strictly enforcing the above rules. 

Rady Ananda, one of our senior editors, had identified herself as a member of COTO.  I emailed Rady, asking her to call me to discuss the new rules.

She refused my request to speak, insisting I only communicate with her in writing.  Responding with the support of the managing editors, her access to the site was temporarily suspended until the issue could be discussed and resolved. 

I again informed Rady that I needed to speak directly to her, and made it clear that email was not acceptable. She email replied that she would not speak to me ever again. Still, I offered her the opportunity to speak to one of the managing editors, that if she did, we could reinstate her. She responded that she would not speak with ANY senior editorial team member and would only communicate in writing.  This created an impasse as open communication among editors is imperative in order to function as a team. This and other factors led to her losing access to the site control panels. That decision has since been justified, in the opinion of the managing editor team.

Rady and others have accused OEN of censorship, of not allowing criticism of Obama. This can be easily disproven by simply looking at articles we have HEADLINED in recent weeks and months. A number of those accusers were banned because they, after being repeatedly warned, violated the above-mentioned commenting policies which appear on every comment submission page.

It's been said I sold out to... some company or someone. Not true. Lies.

It's been said Rady was banned to silence her. Not true. She brought it on herself by her refusal to function as part of the editorial team, because she REFUSED to speak.

The others who have been banned posted irrelevant comments, often promoting COTO, on articles. These articles have authors who care about what is said in response to them. When coto diaries have been published, they have been allowed to stand and commenters have been allowed to comment, unless other rules were violated. 

Some say this has been a purge. So be it. But it has not been about censorship. It has been about civility and maintaining reasonable rules that support an activist, progressive community. 

We were saddened by the extreme position Rady took. She has been a valuable supporter and volunteer contributor to the site and she will be missed.

We have banned less than 10 people at this  point, since the policy decision was reached. The most visible and active of them have  written filthy emails to me, calling me  "rat f*ck," gestapo pig,"  Jew f*ck bastard, and chickenshit coward."

They think they are martyrs, banned for their ideas. But we will continue to publish pretty much all the ideas they espouse. The reason they were banned is because, after repeated warnings,  they were unable to communicate in a civil manner and unwilling to follow simple rules about spamming.

OEN will continue to be a tough progressive media and opinion site. Being tough includes not being bullied by a handful of people who refuse to follow basic rules aimed at supporting community and cooperation. We feel that we can better serve the progressive vision and action by taking a tougher stand that maintains a community where people and writers have a safe place to write and share ideas. That doesn't mean we're going to lose our edge. It means we will stay focused. 

We have no problem with comments and articles criticizing Obama, Democrats, or anyone else. We publish them every day. But our policy to enforce our comment rules is firmly in place and violations will lead to banning. We have over 30,000 registered members now. We've banned less than 10 people over these rules in the past week. For the vast majority of the members, this is a good thing and we have received positive feedback at least five to one.

Just to be clear, this diary has been created with the intention to allow comments about the policy decisions. It is not a place to announce COTO plans or communications. It IS a place to express your opinion about things. It is not an excuse to engage in personal attacks or name calling. 

We've been publishing OEN for over six years and we've gone through changes and growth through that time. I see this series of events as part of the continuation of the growth and evolution of the site. You have to make conscious choices about where you are going. Hopefully, you'll continue as part of the community. I think we have an exciting ride in front of us and a lot of work to do, holding all the members of congress and the white house's feet to the fire. We think we can be more effective doing it without disrespect and intolerance aimed at each other.

 http://www.opednews.com/populum/diarypage.php?did=13300

Also see, Rady Speaks to OEN Members.

45 comments:

  1. sorry. I didn't see you had just published this before I published the "Liberal Dissent" post. Would you like me to set a later publishing time for my new one?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the bit about repeated warnings...
    I didn't see flags on more than 2?? posts and one was the monsanto shill.
    I got no warning. none/ went to comment and found I was Banned, gee great PR skills, not!
    I posted that I would miss Radys posts, and Pats and mr M well,is that a problem? seems as though it is:-)
    doing a head count here seems as if oped just lost 1/2 of its contributors both financial and editorially.

    COTO is not a crime...it,s censorship that is the crime! We don't all have to agree, but the right to an opinion is beyond price. I didn't see anyone telling a commenter they had to think like us, just a few digs at they who scoffed, with reasons ,I thought, rather politely given!
    Must be the sunburn we get downunder? toughens the skin somewhat???:-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Disrespect and intolerance.. naw Not from COTO .
    Our views are not respected, and what tolerance?
    OPED sold out!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I read rob bs story today. He's a liar, plain and simple. I was never given a warning, had a comment flagged, or anything! Just banned.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I was never warned, ever. I had one comment rejected only and that was from last year. I was a monthly financial donater as well. Go figure?

    But it appears that the statement is false and typical propaganda for all the rest of the posters who liked COTO types and have raised issues.

    That is why we need others to post our response.

    ReplyDelete
  6. "Some say this has been a purge. So be it. But it has not been about censorship. It has been about civility and maintaining reasonable rules that support an activist, progressive community."

    Ha ha ha! Straight out of the Hasbara Manual!

    It's been said by [UN, Amnesty International, all the Arab countries, Human Rights Movements all over the world, international leaders every where, etc etc) that Israel has taken the Palestinian Homeland. So be it. But it's not really about the Palestinian land or the Palestinians, it's about Israel's right to exist and defend itself against anti-Semitic and Jew hatred after the Holocust. It has been about Israel's right to defend itself, to survive, to grow, to be a state and to protect itself against anti-Semitism, Jew hatred and another Holocust. It has been about the hatred of its enemies, their anti-Semitism, their willingness to annihilate Israel from the face of the Earth and commit another Holocust. Israel has the right to defend itself, protect the rights and lives of the Jewish people and to remind you and the rest of the world, over and over again, of the Holocust, anti-Semitism and the hatred of Jews. Oy!


    PS: Did they mention the Holocust, hatred of Jews and anti-Semitism?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Well, come up with a good response and I'll go there and post it all over the freakin' place! Cut and paste to rescue, my friend.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Too bad we can't talk about Rob's tyrannical behavior towards Rady on the phone which is the real reason she only wanted to communicate through email. But it would be her word against his and he's the dicktator....errrrrrrr boss.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Patrick, were you banned?

    ReplyDelete
  10. May I say .. thank you Kevin Gosztola (sp?) That kid is the brightest light at oen. The nazi editors and commenters will do their best to snuff it out.

    ReplyDelete
  11. You know, I really should be pissed at you guys; with a few exceptions to see how Rady and MrM were doing, I hadn't been back to Op Ed since my banishment.

    Now I have used that stupid little link in the blog roll (can we PLEASE get something else up in that?) ... what? ... 10 times? Going back and forth looking at the "shrunken head brigade" all pecking around, making kissy faces to Rob and basking in each others group-think in the hopes that if they stand righteous and tall in the face of dissent they will be rewarded with top billing or something.

    Funny that on a smaller scale, the are basically the exact same thing Rob is doing with the site overall; proving he can maintain the status quo and in so doing protect the system they serve.

    So... thanks a lot! I had happily turned my back on weasels long ago, and here they are, once again haunting my synapses with some of the most banal, sniveling, sycophancy I have ever heard.

    It's like watching a train wreck; you just saw one thing so horrible, you can't turn your eyes away cus something worse might happen.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'll add links to infowars. from the wilderness etc. You all have to have input.

    I'm not the decider. JG I was unable to log in as of this morning. So I am banned. Are you?

    I posted a news update asking who all were banned in this latest purge. Please remark your status.

    Rob said less than 10? I don't think so.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Rady, did you see Munich's post about you on that thread? I just noticed she's signed on....yaaaaay

    Please go to the home page and read my post. We have a mole (if we want one) at oen ;)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Patrick.. it's really odd. I can still sign in but am unable to do anything but send messages to oen members.. when I try to comment I get a msg that goes like this:

    "You've been marked unable to comment by the editors of oen."

    "marked" if that doesn't remind me of Hitler's germany I don't know what does....

    I have a feeling they have not only "marked" me but are tracking me.. what do you think?

    ReplyDelete
  15. Patrick.. go read the post I just put up.."an offer of help from inside oen"

    ReplyDelete
  16. I have many jewish friends, Rady. My biggest criticism collectively is their respect for women. I have seen this across the board. It's sad, they are still my friends but it is so. By the way Munich is now signed up.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I can't log in period "banned" but read the comments for Poor Rob's propaganda.
    The comments from the Editors. What did we expect.

    That sanctimonious A. Wade is a a$$kisser of the highest order.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I read it JG. Is it Josh M? I need Rady to weigh in. Josh contacted me after I commented on a list of possible assassinations that Cheney and Clinton could have orchestrated. Josh said i should summarize each one and post as an article. But if it had Clinton body count, I doubt it would have gotten by.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Rob Kall flat out lied.

    I was also banned. No warnings, no anything.

    I just tried to get on and got massage.

    You are banned.

    ReplyDelete
  20. sorry, no massage from Rob, just message

    banned.

    //:-)>-------

    ReplyDelete
  21. No Patrick.. not Josh.. I'm not trying to be all secretive or anything but I want to know what you guys think about it before I reveal who it is.

    Is Rady around? Is there anyway to know who is on site right now?

    ReplyDelete
  22. LOL michael.. just wham bam no thank you shazam !!

    ReplyDelete
  23. No I don't think so. Let's be realistic. We can get anyone to sign up and drop a link in a comment on any article we want to go after.

    We could have this person call it RESPONSE BY THE OBVIOUS BANISHED!! It would link to a article "Rebuttal to ___. "

    How long could we get away with that until the OEN SS got wind? LOL. I can just see Leser peeing himself.

    ReplyDelete
  24. I've exchanged a couple emails with Rob since this first started. First it was hard to find out what was going on, what had happened, and to whom.........

    Now I've just finished reading his "diary" justification plus comments. Rob's comments- juvenile, dismissive, lacking specifics- make me less than sympathetic to his position. Plus the 'senior' editors who are thrusting themselves forward are clearly ambitious and not in tune with the readership.

    Looks like elitism has claimed OEN.

    I hope this site or some other friendly one will step up to fill the void. In the meantime I recommend http://informationclearinghouse.info for links you won't often find at other sites. One can also submit articles to tom@informationclearinghouse.info but I don't know what Tom's conditions might be.

    I'm old enough to remember the 60s-early 70s when the Democrats were the face of Imperialism so this new wrinkle doesn't surprise me. Sounds like most here also see the Corpocracy as the enemy. Good place to start.

    ReplyDelete
  25. LOL... sounds like a plan.. Leser.. You mean world renowned fox news star Leser? It just goes to show you how low msm has stooped. Perhaps fox will fire Alan Combs and hire Leser ..same same..lol

    And Rady is here.. She just replied to me on my post. She asked me to email the name. I'm sending it along to you and her.

    ReplyDelete
  26. We absolutely do laudy.. Information clearinghouse is a great place for real news. So is Global research and infowars.com. Glad you joined us :)

    ReplyDelete
  27. hiya all, What I found odd is when I went to see whats up, the little purple bit top left says I am logged in, however I get the you are banned from posting, banned from mailing mambers fluff!
    wonder if using Ixquick, would baffle the censor tag?
    I can sign on as a new member using a different mail acct, but? cookies tag the pc server? and ixquick isnt useable through yahoo.
    think they have me sewn up, not sure.

    I wrote on my blog and want to link it in to here to get some people finding US! so we can attract the readers who DO follow our stories.
    and a link to Jerris site rfdamerica would be good
    someone please, how? is it done
    My time zone is all to hell unless i am up at weird hours for direct contac(east coast Aus)

    ReplyDelete
  28. I can log in also but cannot make comments and apparently, since 2 article submissions in a row have been rejected, I'm not able to post articles either.
    Personally, I find myself at odds with a few 'members' who have an extreme right wing
    agenda and seem to post only to harass writers. I was getting to the point where I felt that Kall was accepting whatever contributed the most money.
    I've not been the largest financial contributor but I did toss money in, sometimes when i could least afford it. I say fine, good riddance. He needs us more than we need him.
    I saw the same scenario take place at BC (Blog Critics). The editors get so full of themselves they become the news. It ends up as a bunch of ego blather ( "You're so wonderful", "No,, You're so wonderful, " O, we're all so wonderful".
    I won't miss that crap one bit.

    ReplyDelete
  29. There are so many things wrong with Rob's handling of this it's hard to keep civil discussing it.

    What I find most egregious is his using Rady's refusal to speak to him without explaining WHY. As if it were HER fault she didn't want to listen to his insults and rage.

    Than his use of PRIVATE messages to bolster his point when none of us have yet to stoop to using private messages that would prove his duplicity.

    Although I regret having said what I did to him, but by his actions he has none the less proved my point that he is exactly what I called him. My only regret is giving him ammunition to use what I said to smear others, not in what I said. I could only add to what I said by calling him a "lying ...".

    Of course someone has to point out that his argument to regulate 9/11 to some back-burner stance when every policy being pushed, new law being pasted, regulation being implemented, war being fought, liberty taken is BECAUSE of 9/11, and every GD politician uses 9/11 to foster Draconian measures, but, on OEN none of this matters, 9/11 is still trash-bin, UFO, conspiracy theory crap.

    Rob can't defend himself in open debate, if he were to show the post I was banned for there is no way he could defend himself.

    Face it, he's sold himself to the dark-side. And he's losing it. His little world is fragmenting around him and scapegoats is all he has.

    ReplyDelete
  30. Welcome Peter ! Glad you found your way through the maze ;)

    ReplyDelete
  31. Hey M :) check out the coto hit piece aka klown kall's diary and see how Richard eviscerates klown's remarks on "nanite". LOL.. he does an awesome job of cutting him to bits. Of course klown kall never responds but Annoying Anthony steps into Rob's Klown shoes to give his opinion. It's quite amusing.

    Hopefully, Richard should arrive any day. He finally contacted me Saturday about wanting to join us.

    ReplyDelete
  32. Thanks jersey,,
    it was an a-maze-ing trip.
    Oh, I'm so sorry,, that really sucked.

    ReplyDelete
  33. yeah... annoying A... mr. "christian guy." But it was worth the trip to see Klown's ass handed to him over the "nanite bomb."

    ReplyDelete
  34. thanks for the nick for kall waldo.. I just love it.. lol

    ReplyDelete
  35. [...] Perhaps that is why he purged regulars who hold “extreme” viewpoints from his website just a few weeks ago.  Yes, in what must have been the “luckiest” move of his career, Rob just “happened” to ban several regular contributors, writers, and even members of his staff right before all of this “radical extremism” started unfolding. We were saddened by the extreme position Rady took. Rob Kall [...]

    ReplyDelete
  36. [...] Perhaps that is why he purged regulars who hold “extreme” viewpoints from his website just a few weeks ago.  Yes, in what must have been the “luckiest” move of his career, Rob just “happened” to ban several regular contributors, writers, and even members of his staff right before all of this “radical extremism” started unfolding. We were saddened by the extreme position Rady took. Rob Kall [...]

    ReplyDelete
  37. PPJ

    Welcome to the COTOCREW.

    Join in the fun.

    We are going to grow.

    Poor old Klown Kar Kall.

    //:-)>------------

    ReplyDelete
  38. The Coalition of the Obvious has left behind the Cult of the Oblivious at OEN.

    ReplyDelete
  39. Nice weather were having ! I aint been banned,probably cuz of My easygoing and politically correct demeanor,and I am just so sweeeet ! Has any of you mugs looked at My chemtrail post ?

    ReplyDelete
  40. I was actually shocked that I was not banned for slamming OEN's obvious bias regarding the re-posting of the standard spin.... I was told by a member over there that OEN does not do that sort of thing...

    YEAH RIGHT! Anyway, Rob is what he is.. a control freak who has no interest in any opinion other than that he puts out as his own. (wherever it comes from, he is a true believer, and that is just the way that is.... )

    Ciao, CZ

    ReplyDelete
  41. I have read Rob's explanation - I take issue with several of his assertions, which I believe are categorically false. e.g.

    "We have no problem with comments and articles criticizing Obama"

    sounds nice on paper, but there is divergence, nay, a wide gap between reality and the way he thinks. I remember succinctly elucidating on several areas where this Obama character did things exactly opposite to his campaign promises - I said this in a comment, and Steven Leser (of the two weevils) proceeded to call me pathetic - I found this interesting, instead of refuting me on any factual ground, he chose to insult me. Now, he could have approached this angle based on my follicularly deprivated carapace, my eyesight, my age, my generously proportioned frame, or any other attributes of which I am so lacking, or too much in abundance of - but instead he took a wild stab and went for the pathos.

    Although I was never banned, and keeping in mind that I do feel indebted to Rob Kall for affording me the opportunity to post on opednews when I started writing, I'm insulted to see that other people were banned for just having their own opinion. The good news - after I stopped going to that site because so many good people either left or were "purged" - I discovered this site. Every time a door closes a window opens.

    ReplyDelete
  42. I;m sorry Rady,, you did mention those things. I just said the first appropriate words that came to mind,,, funny how we both feel the exactsame about him.
    One thing you gotta give him,,, he's one consistent ass hole

    ReplyDelete
  43. [...] May 24, 2009, the literary bloodbath at OpEdNews.com began. Over 30 popular writers and commenters, including this Senior Editor, were [...]

    ReplyDelete
  44. Ah yes...I finally see this page after whut??...a century or so has passed.

    This was the time that I was not only freshly banned from OEN but my computer got whacked...

    The fairytale by Kall was...ummner...well, utter bullshit, but that is all said and done now.

    As I recall I called Rob an asshole and such too, and a mediocrity at journalism and primarily a PR hack. I guess it insulted his delicate sensibilities...

    But being this is now so much water under a long collapsed bridge...I mean it is 2013 now. So WTF?

    Hohohohehehehahaha

    \\][//

    ReplyDelete